Monday 27 May 2013

THE CALLING...:part 5




Surreal. That's the first word that comes to mind when thinking about the day that has just gone past. Day one is a wrap and it flew by. 


It started after a good nights sleep at the High Performance Institute in Pretoria. What a fantastic facility. As you walk into the hotel there are big photos of the Olympians from the last Olympics, and greeted by friendly and helpful staff. I am sharing a room with Nico van der Walt who is also competing in the regionals. If you weren't aware he won the  Fittest in Cape Town competition in February this year. He is a great coach and has become a good friend in my crossfit journey. Definitely a very bright star in this sport. Our room's lekker: TV, comfortable beds and exactly what we need. For dinner we had a superb buffet at the hotel and chocolate milkshakes.. I love chocolate milkshakes.

Right so we slept well and were up at 5am, dressed and left at 5:35 to try beat impending strikes on the freeway. There were no strikes so we got there early. We were guided to the athletes area where there were tables and chairs and space to chill in what looked like the media boxes when they have other events there. My first event was at 11:15 so I had time to kill, but our Crossfit Tokai team, was up at 09:15. Taryn Vosloo and Jono van der Walt were up first and had to complete the Jackie workout (row, thrusters and pull ups). They put in a great effort and made us proud, as did the whole team for all of the events. Gina Goosen smashed her first ever muscle up today and that was awesome to see!! 

So at 10:15 I headed up to the athletes area and started my routine.. Haha.. Well lets say I started my routine or the future. Foam rolling my leg muscles whilst listening to music, some breaking Benjamin, some Cold Play and some Deadmau5. Put my tights on and shorts, tied up my Olympic lifting shoe laces. Hand grips on and off, Cipla Nutrition Arginine ampule in my pocket and I was off. I was running a bit late so went straight into the  line up - Where we wait at the doors that go onto the Arena floor. I felt like a superstar.

Alan Foulis wait at the bottom of the stair please. The doors open and on the stairs they have your lane number for the event which you wait next to before they call your name over the announcement system. So, nerves are going mad and I am first up.. Alan Foulis from Crossfit Tokai. And as I walked out there were cheers my box members and then I look up and my name is above my lane. Seeing my name like that was just unreal, couldn't help but smile from ear to ear. Time to shine.

3, 2, 1, GO!! And the row began. I started really quickly and had to hold myself back because I knew it was too fast for 1000m. So I trimmed it down and before I knew it I was done. I unclipped and started the thrusters. I decided before hand I was going to go unbroken and that's what I did. Finishing the 1000m row and 50 thrusters in 5:17. Pull ups next and they weren't too bad. I was first into the pull ups but the guy caught me and I came 2nd in my heat with a 6:36, beating my previous best time by 29 seconds. Stoked.

Afterwards was chill time and supported the team in event 2 and 3 where Tyron, Roland and Jono smashed the muscle ups. Superb!!

Then 14:15 came and it was time to go up again. Same routine as before except I eased outside to the warm up area and did a few squats to get ready. Then back to the line up and Alan Foulis from Crossfit Tokai was announced once again. Overhead squad are not great for me and I made an error in the workout so ended with 195lbs, which was another PB for me :) we had 2 minutes rest and then onto the burpee muscle ups. I got 20 and must admit I was happy and couldn't stop thinking about my friends and family back home which made me push that little but harder. And with the buzzer came the end of Day 1... Wow.

I am so stocked with it all and an sitting 20th after day one, which means I climbed 18 places from the Open. Just felt like a dream come true today but as Mikko Salo, a crossfit athlete, said "Tomorrow is the man test". Two events: 
100 wall balls
100 C2B
100 pistol squats 
100 single arm snatches at 32kg

And:
21-15-9
143kg deadlifts 
70cm box jumps

It's all over and now it's about recovery, rest and food... Time to feed the beast :)

Till tomorrow, stay classy :)
Peace n Love
Al Zilla

No comments:

Post a Comment